Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The American Spirit

I was talking to C.S. last night online and it brought to light again the true state of affairs in this beloved nation I inhabit.

High school civics courses would have you believe the core espiritus de America would be liberty, equality, fraternity, and the pursuit of happiness.  Bullshit.  The driving force behind the American dream is greed.  We should change our bills from "One Nation Under God" to "One Nation Under Mammon." If you don't believe me, then just go to Rodeo Drive, or the Hollywood Hills in L.A. or Wall Street or 5th Avenue or better yet the Upper East Side in NYC.

Why else would hard-working middle class citizens indulge and tolerate all the inequalities and injustices inflicted upon the middle class and poor.  It's because they cling to the vain hope of striking it rich themselves so that they can one day turn the tables on their fellow man.  It's a pathetic part of human nature to want to get revenge, so to say, once they get on top.  It's the mentality behind hazing and why it continues unabated even now at college fraternities.  Freshman endure humiliating even harmful hazing practices with the hope of one day being able to inflict this same misery and depravity on another, once they've "done their time."

When I was in U.S. Government class and we were learning about "N.I.N.A." (No Irish Need Apply) and other discriminatory practices acted towards early immigrants, a classmate stated matter-of-factly that it is just the way it is in America.  He said every new immigrant group needs to be hazed in the U.S. for a period of several years to several decades or more before they can and will be accepted in this great country.  He made it seem like it was perfectly sensible and since every immigrant has been ostracized and abused in the past, this American tradition should continue even now into the gleaming future.  A pay your dues and then gloat and repay the favor attitude.

Well, back to the topic at hand.  At the time I had blithely told C.S. that every nation on Earth is motivated by greed.  Money talks, no matter where you are, for capitalism has penetrated every corner on Earth, even the last bastions of communism (i.e., China is the most capitalistic and free market country I've ever visited in my life).  However, he astutely pointed out that England and Taiwan (to a lesser extent) provide free healthcare for all their citizens.  While U.S. healthcare is held ransom by a few, powerful health insurance companies driven purely by profit as well as large pharmaceutical companies that have huge leverage over hospitals and doctors as well as lobbying power in the Capitol.

I also have an American friend in graduate school in Cologne, Germany.  To my surprise, she informed me that university education is gratis for ALL peoples, not only Europeans.  Granted, obtaining acceptance from a German university is not a piece of cake but there are many programs that are in English and most Germans are fluent in English.  Also, once you are accepted into a German university, then no matter your nationality, you can attend absolutely free.  On top of that, she told me that Berlin is a very affordable city, which is why so many artists and bohemians call it home.  In the artistic district of Mitte, she said a shared studio apartment costs $300 per month or around 200 Euros.

In essence, I love Americans but we need to change the direction our country is headed or we may be in for a nasty surprise.  Already there is a slight 'brain drain' of talent going abroad or back to their homeland of origin.  Once upon a time, immigrants flooded this shore for the freedom to live as they please and to chase their dreams, no matter how fanciful.  They came to express their creativity and to express their unique talent unfettered by bureaucracy,  red tape, discrimination, and big government.  If they got rich, then it was a natural by-product of doing what they loved and doing it well.  Now this process has turned topsy turvy.  People come to worship Mammon and scheme on ways to accumulate as many greenbacks as possible with no regard to their personal capabilities or affinities.  Economics and practicality have trumped all other values in this country, which espouses chasing after one's "dreams."

A country that once prided itself on individualism and ingenuity now worships mainstream media, music, and pop fashion, which tells individuals what to like and dislike and most importantly, what to purchase with credit.  "Individuality" is manufactured in a slave-wage factory in China and then shipped to a Wal-Mart or strip mall in America for mindless consumers to buy.

I'm not saying money is the root of all evil.  It is neither good nor bad.  It can be utilized for either, but when the sole driving force behind one's energies is to accumulate something that has inherently has no value but for the amount society dictates is preposterous.  Inflation may very well the next day render your entire "fortune" and hard-earned savings to be worthless, just look at the precautionary tale of Argentina.  Money should never be the sole factor in determining your decisions and much less in pushing you to do something against your intuition or core values.

This discussion reminds me of the British pop song (by Lily Allen), with surprisingly penetrating and satirical lyrics (audio only):



Watch the official music video here.

Watch & listen to the acoustic version here.

I want to be rich and I want lots of money
I don’t care about clever I don’t care about funny
I want loads of clothes and fuckloads of diamonds
I heard people die while they are trying to find them
I’ll take my clothes off and it will be shameless
‘Cuz everyone knows that’s how you get famous
I’ll look at the sun and I’ll look in the mirror
I’m on the right track yeah I’m on to a winner

Chorus
I don’t know what’s right and what’s real anymore
I don’t know how I’m meant to feel anymore
When we think it will all become clear
‘Cuz I’m being taken over by The Fear

Life’s about film stars and less about mothers
It’s all about fast cars and passing each other
But it doesn’t matter cause I’m packing plastic
and that’s what makes my life so f***ing fantastic
And I am a weapon of massive consumption
and its not my fault it’s how I’m program to function
I’ll look at the sun and I’ll look in the mirror
I’m on the right track yeah I’m on to a winner

Chorus

Bridge
Forget about guns and forget ammunition
Cause I’m killing them all on my own little mission
Now I’m not a saint but I’m not a sinner
Now everything is cool as long as I’m getting thinner

Chorus



__________________________________________________

And I don't think it would be appropriate to write about this without giving a nod towards Wu Tang Clan's classic, "C.R.E.A.M.":



Cash rules everything around me.
C.R.E.A.M.!
Get the money.
Dolla dolla bill, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment