Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Amazing Treehoppers of the Rainforest


I just watched an episode from one of my favorite CBC shows, "The Nature of Things with David Suzuki," specifically the episode titled Mini Monsters of Amazonia.

I never even knew the existence of these fascinating albeit minute creatures of the rainforests of South America prior to watching The Nature of Things.  Observing them in their native habitat was truly mesmerizing.

One of the most famous and widely studied treehoppers, Bocydium tintinnabuliferum.
Here are a some photos that I gleaned (without permission) from Google Images.  (Please read the disclaimer below regarding usage of the photos.)  In selecting the photos, I tried to demonstrate the sheer diversity of these splendid creatures.



Copyright belongs to Harshal Desai.  Please visit his blog.

If you would like to view more images of treehoppers.  Wonderful photos can be seen on Patrick Landmann's website.  He was also featured in the Mini Monsters episode.  There is also a fine collection of treehopper images found at this Flickr website.


Disclaimer:  All rights to the usage and ownership of the photos posted in this entry belong to the respective parties, such as the aforementioned Flickr user or the esteemed professional photographer, Patrick Landmann.  I have no association with these persons and no copyright infringement is intended; I merely admire their beautiful photos of these tiny magnificent creatures.  I have made the conscious choice to post these photos for their pure aesthetic beauty and for the edification of my readers — not for monetary reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment