Monday, September 13, 2010

The Importance of Humility (Luke 14)

I had missed two weeks of Mass, so when I went yesterday I flipped through the Epistle book and perused the readings I had missed.  I found this particular passage from Luke, especially enlightening. It also served as a crucial reminder for me to remain humble and remember not to misplace my values on mundane achievements in a transitory world.


Luke 14:7-14

[7] When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable: [8] "When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. [9] If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'Give this man your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. [10] But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all your fellow guests. [11] For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
[12] Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. [13] But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, [14] and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

2 comments:

  1. I love it when the Bible gives social tips. Is there any chance you could turn this into a mini-documentary. I'd love the "Peep Show" action on Kyle and homeless man, blind man and crippled man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I should point that I'm not trying to be cynical or flippant. I genuinely think it would make an interesting documentary

    ReplyDelete