Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Plastic Scourge of Modern Civilization

Just for a second think about all the plastic around you, how much you use and how much you throw away everyday.  Then realize where the plastic comes from (oil) and where it's going (your body — back into our food supply).





A healthy alternative to plastic? When I was at the Boulder Farmer's Market. All the plastic bags and all the plastic cups were in fact NOT plastic at all but I couldn't see the difference for the life of me. It was all made from corn. It's all compostable.

When I was visiting Bastyr University in Kent, Washington, I had lunch there and all their cups and cardboard trays were also entirely compostable and you wouldn't know the difference from conventional toxic products. The only possible problem is cost. I'm assuming it costs more but we should keep in mind the long-term costs of using a cheap, toxic product that winds up back in our own bodies.

Here's more information about the compostable, biodegradable cups from one of the manufacturers.

No comments:

Post a Comment